The participants at ADS have been steadily progressing in the morning culinary program. Tasks are assigned systematically to allow each member the opportunity to improve upon a variety of life skills.
The following skills are targeted:
- Hygiene in the kitchen: washing hands, and foods when necessary.
- Preparation of beverages: estimating amounts necessary for group, setting out needed glasses, mixing powdered drinks, making tea for iced tea.
- Preparation of entree: reading recipe, gathering ingredients, measuring, math for increasing quantities, safe cutting techniques, use of convection oven, microwave oven, and stove top
- Preparation of desserts: reading recipe, gathering ingredients, measuring, math for increasing quantities, use of convection oven, microwave oven, and blender.
- Setting table correctly with plates, utensils, glasses, and napkins.
- Taking orders and serving when guests/family members are in-house: social and communication skills.
- Housekeeping: clearing of table, washing dishes by hand, loading dishwasher, sweeping floor.
- Weekly grocery shopping: preparing grocery list, menu ideas, coupon clipping, money awareness, location of items at grocery store, loading and unloading of groceries.